Saturday, May 14, 2011

The things we do.....

Honestly is there anything we won't do - to ourselves, our bodies, our loved ones and quite often with no recognised benefit - at the time anyway.

As I sit here waiting for my beloved who is somewhere between checkpoint 4 and cp5 in the North Face 100, Blue Mountains, Sydney Australia I have one of those 'epiphenous' moments (yes I made that word up) brought upon by lack of sleep, caffeine, crap food, mental torture from two now sleeping children dragged around from about 0545 this morning through the blue mountains (and loving it) and probably seeing what mummy is putting herself through presently.

I think whats inscribed into the rocks and mud along Kokoda - courage, mateship, sacrifice and I think pain should or may be in there as well. In each of us there are moments that can only be defined under those words but achieved through so many different ways the inclusion of infinite would have to slip in there as well. The months of pain through training, sacrifice of time, sleep, precious moments with loved ones, mateship developed through training partners new and old, courage to think that if I could only put the time in - I may just be able to pull this out of my hat and go alright or die trying.

My beautful wife (xx) after having so spectacularly dnf'd last year at 89k and trained so valiantly and achieved the unachievable just by showing up this year again is very close to wiping another massive goal from her bucket list. There have been injuries physical, mentally and emotionally that have tried her but have done no more than harden her titanium resolve and bring out her already indominitable spirit further - I am in awe and regard myself as blessed in having such a wonderful person as my wife.

The welsh running dog who at year three has burnt out a fantastic 22nd overall at 11;50 and proven what can be done with pure guts grit determination and vegemite sandwiches - is a fine example of what can happen when we process new imigrants through into our fine country - nice one Andy B.

Huey - another rusting ironman who with about seven weeks to go before Challenge Roth is out there squeezing it in on top an exhausting work, family, training schedule knowing that at the end of the day it could all blow up with another injury or illness. Not to be totally all train no play he even manages epic rides on top of all things - a hangover. You just cannot keep him down.

Where will this Rusty Ironman be in about three weeks? Who knows but with so many fine examples close at hand I'm sure I will be in good company.....stay tuned.....

This blog written at 2130 adjacent to cp5 and coincidentally next to the old Queen Elizabeth Hospital - former institution for the clinically insane and mentally ill....seriously.


Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

No comments:

Post a Comment